I’ve been doing some spinning lately… here are the last few skeins I spun.
In the spinning community there is a spinning competition during the month of July called the Tour de Fleece. It happens during the Tour de France bike race, hence the name. It was started in 2006, on a website called the Ravelry. So my personal challenge during the Tour was to spin a textured art yarn called Supercoil.
This is a plying technique that uses up a ton of yardage – the 20 or so yards of single yarn I spun shrank to about 6 yards after plying! To create any real yardage of Supercoil would use a lot of singles.
..to their new homes! I have 2 black and 2 agouti French Angora bunnies for sale, born 4/17/15. I updated my Rabbits For Sale page, so please check it out for more info. Thanks!
I have launched a new line of batts, made with my new drum carder, on Etsy. Batts are a way of preparing fiber for spinning or felting, and it is possible to create some gorgeous gradients using the drum carder.
My shop is here: FeltSculpture; please check it out! I also have a new page on my menu bar that leads directly to my shop; the link is called My Shop.
The babies are 2.5 weeks old, and at the peak of cuteness. Enjoy!
This litter’s colors are 3 black and 2 agouti. I will be keeping one of the black ones if it is a doe, but the rest I will be selling, so feel free to leave a comment and reserve a bunny for you!
..With baby bunnies again! This litter of 5 is from Chloe (Black Tortoiseshell) x Basil (Chestnut Agouti). I am hoping for some new colors in this litter. (Last litter all the babies were Black Torts, same as their mom Chloe.) I’m not sure what color these guys are yet. I think 3 are all black and 2 are black with pink tummies and ears. They are only a few days old, so by the end of the week they should be old enough for me to take them out of the nest box and get a good look.
This litter was interesting because 3 were born on Friday afternoon, and 1 was born on Saturday morning, and another Saturday afternoon. All were healthy though, and Chloe seems to be fine. She was early- she wasn’t due until Sunday!
Here is Chloe- she looks pretty ragged because of all the fur she pulled for the nest.
I finished my first real yardage of Angora yarn! I made my first weaving project, a scarf. Here is the yarn- a lot of time and effort has gone into it!
I blended a 75% alpaca to 25% angora mix, from my French Angora buck, Andre. This yarn has taken most of the summer and fall of 2014 to prepare for – I custom made a hackle to blend the fiber on, harvested the fiber from Andre, I waited until the Rhinebeck festival to get the alpaca, I blended, spun, Navajo plied and steamed the yarn, warped the loom, and now I’m finally using it!
Here are pictures of the process.
Andre, the wool producer
My custom hackle- here I’m blending the alpaca and angora to spin.
Here is the finished yarn- Navajo plied, roughly 250 yards.
Then I steamed the yarn, warped the loom, and started weaving!
I finished the scarf with a technique called hemstitching, which ties off the ends of the woven piece and gathers the warp into groups of fringe.
And here is the finished scarf!
Thanks for reading!
I made 3 felt paintings over the holidays. One is of a Baltimore Oriole, one is of a Painted Turtle, and one is landscape.
I started making the paintings to a standard size (8×10 in.) for the first time, so they can easily be mounted on a canvas.
Here is the Oriole piece after wet felting.
And here is the finished painting after needle felting.
Next is the Painted Turtle piece before wet felting.
Here is the piece after needle felting.
This is after I mounted the piece onto an 8″x 10″ canvas.
Last is the landscape…
Thanks for reading!