I finished my first real yardage of Angora yarn! I made my first weaving project, a scarf. Here is the yarn- a lot of time and effort has gone into it!
I blended a 75% alpaca to 25% angora mix, from my French Angora buck, Andre. This yarn has taken most of the summer and fall of 2014 to prepare for – I custom made a hackle to blend the fiber on, harvested the fiber from Andre, I waited until the Rhinebeck festival to get the alpaca, I blended, spun, Navajo plied and steamed the yarn, warped the loom, and now I’m finally using it!
Here are pictures of the process.
Andre, the wool producer
My custom hackle- here I’m blending the alpaca and angora to spin.
Here is the finished yarn- Navajo plied, roughly 250 yards.
Then I steamed the yarn, warped the loom, and started weaving!
I finished the scarf with a technique called hemstitching, which ties off the ends of the woven piece and gathers the warp into groups of fringe.
And here is the finished scarf!