I’ve been doing a lot of felt paintings recently in preparation for a little craft fair at our local library. I’ve had 4 washboards in my closet for about a year now, so I decided it was time to dig them out and actually use them to hold some felt paintings.
My favorite washboard out of this batch is this little toadstool panel.
I found a felt painting that I started a long time ago (it must have been a really long time ago because I have no memory of ever doing it) and never finished. I decided to finish it for the show – its probably the biggest painting I’ve done yet, at 11 x 14″.
Thanks for reading!
My friend gave me about 4 oz of grey English Angora fiber to spin that she had been saving from her rabbits. She doesn’t spin, but is an avid knitter, so she was looking forward to knitting with her own fiber.
I hackled the fiber to sort out all the short bits, neps, and hay, and was left with about 1.7 oz of prime fiber. She asked for pink in the batts, so I used 2 different shades of pink Tussah silk, and dyed some merino/silk blend top to layer in the batts.
I spun and 2-plied the batts into about 180 yards.Although I love the softness, I don’t care for Angora’s tendency to bloom and shed, so I spun the singles with a very high twist so that the loose ends have a harder time escaping the yarn.
Thanks for reading!
I have launched a new line of batts, made with my new drum carder, on Etsy. Batts are a way of preparing fiber for spinning or felting, and it is possible to create some gorgeous gradients using the drum carder.
My shop is here: FeltSculpture; please check it out! I also have a new page on my menu bar that leads directly to my shop; the link is called My Shop.
Back in October I was at an antique store and was inspired to make a lemon yellow and robin egg blue yarn from some enamel pots.
I made some beautiful rolags from merino, tussah silk, and some wool locks.
It was the first time that I
used my blending board
correctly! I didn’t research
how to use the blending
board before I used it earlier
this year, so I didn’t know that
I’m supposed to draft the
rolags while I’m rolling them off.
The rolags were fun to spin. The locks were beautiful when spun. Here are the 2 bobbins before they are plied together.
I spun the yellow single a little thicker than the blue, so the effect is that when I plied, the thinner blue single is wrapped slightly around the yellow single.
All the way back in September I was given a huge ball of green Merino wool to spin. It’s taken me 2 months to finish it, but it was a good learning experience.
I did 3 skeins of true 3-ply, (my first) using my new Lazy Kate. I learned that to create a nice defined 3-ply I should hold each single at an angle from all the others. I did 2 skeins of Navajo Plied yarn, (also my first) and figured out that I either over-spun or over-plied it, because while all 3 skeins of 3-ply were balanced, both of my Navajo plied skeins were unbalanced.
I also did my second attempt at corespinning with this wool. This time my corespinning turned out much better than the first attempt. I tried this time to spin it thinner, so therefore it wouldn’t be as chunky and get caught in the orifice.
I got around 550 – 600 yards out of this, not counting the 30 or so yards of corespun.
Free Range Bunnies
Steffy (Stefano) has escaped from his cage three times and has been found wandering around the yard! At first I thought I had left his cage door open by accident, but the third time he escaped I had just groomed him and put him back in his cage, so I knew I had fastened the latch right! I watched him for a minute and figured out that the little bugger had been biting the wire of the cage door and shaking it as hard as he could. If he did it for long enough the latch would come unhooked, and then, bunny freedom! I soon fixed that!
Well, thanks for reading! God Bless, Rebekah